Prairie View • Friday • 4 p.m.
UTRGV • Saturday • 1 p.m.
Baylor • Saturday • 7 p.m.
HOW TO FOLLOW
Video (Baylor Match Only)
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas – Texas A&M-Corpus Christi volleyball opens its 2016 slate with three matches at the Baylor Invitational.
RELATED: Match Notes (pdf)
The Islanders are a balanced squad of new and old with eight players returning from the 2015 Southland Conference Championship team and eight new faces added to the fold. A new man is also at the helm for the Islanders in 2016 as Steve Greene will lead the indoor squad for the first time.
WHAT TO KNOW
• Five Islanders were named to the preseason All-Southland Conference teams.
• Keep an eye out for Brittany Gilpin who is making a move to outside hitter this season after earning First Team All-Southland honors at middle blocker in 2015.
• The Islanders once again figure to lean on defense after finishing fourth in the nation by holding opponents to a .143 hitting percentage last season.
• Lone senior Morgan Carlson should be a centerpiece in the Islander offense. Carlson leads all returners with 303 kills.
• The Islanders carry an 18-match regular season winning streak into the opening weekend, the longest in program history.
The trio of opening weekend opponents are no stranger to the Islanders. A&M-Corpus Christi has faced each of the three multiple times, including bouts with Prairie View and UTRGV last season.
In the all-time series, the Islanders lead Prairie View 18-1, lead UTRGV 20-15 and trail Baylor 0-5. In 2015, the Blue and Green swept Prairie View twice and took three matches from UTRGV.
Prairie View finished 9-25 last season and is led by Randi Hunter who returns after recording 224 kills in 2015. UTRGV wrapped 2015 with a 12-19 record and return leading scorer Mitrovic Bojana who produced 460 kills. Meanwhile, Baylor went 17-13 overall and returns Katie Staiger who was second in kills with 307. The Bears also welcome back Libero Jana Brusek who dug 365 attacks last season.