CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas – The Texas A&M-Corpus Christi women's soccer team continues its five-game road trip to start the season this weekend with a pair of games against two first-time opponents. The Islanders face North Texas on Friday at 7 P.M., before traveling to Southern Methodist on Sunday for a 5:30 P.M. kickoff, the latest Sunday start time in program history.
THE OPENING KICK
• After a difficult opening weekend to the 2016 season, the Islanders continue their five-game road swing with matches against North Texas and SMU.
• A&M-Corpus Christi will face the Mean Green and Mustangs for the first time in program history. Entering the weekend, the Islanders have an all-time record of 1-1-1 against C-USA opponents and a 0-2-1 mark versus teams from the American.
• The Islanders are continuing to combined the youth and experience in the squad. All 15 available field players had minutes in both matches.
• The home opener for the Islanders has been moved to Friday, Sept. 9, at 7 P.M. against Houston. Fans will be welcomed with the Kickoff Tailgate with the Waves of Welcome.
• The Islanders opened 2016 at the UTRGV Tournament with games against the host Vaqueros and UNLV.
• A&M-Corpus Christi dropped the opening match of the weekend versus UTRGV 2-1 in the inaugural contest of the South Texas Showdown presented by NavyArmy Community Credit Union.
• UNLV used a burst of offensive power on Sunday to top the Blue and Green 6-0.
• A&M-Corpus Christi saw its freshman class play substantial minutes during the two games at the UTRGV Tournament.
• Lozano was responsible for one of the four Islanders shots on net for the weekend.
• Redshirt-sophomore forward Kaitlyn Joy bagged the first goal of the year for the Islanders, which is the first time a sophomore has opened the scoring for the Blue and Green. The goal marked the third of Joy's career after netting a pair during her two-year stint at Idaho.
• Goalkeeper Jordan Wainwright started in net for a pair of starts to become the first junior in history to begin a game in back.
• Rookie Kendall Moody stepped between the pipes for the second half of the Sunday contest versus the Runnin' Rebels. With three saves, the San Antonio native finished game with the second most stops in a debut for a freshman.
• Ashley Hamilton has quickly made an impact for the Islanders. The rookie has two starts under her belt and leads the team in minutes played with 162.
BACK IN UNIFORM
• Senior Hannah Joseph will add more depth and experience to the midfield heading into this weekend. The Flower Mound native returns to the Island after spending the previous two weeks in India.
SCOUTING NORTH TEXAS
• North Texas enters the weekend with a 2-0 record after knocking off Incarnate Word 4-0 and Oral Roberts 1-0.
• The Mean Green received votes for the National Soccer Coaches Association of America national Top-25 rankings this week.
• Goalkeeper Brooke Bradley has been a force in the back. In 180 minutes of play, the sophomore has yet to concede a goal.
• Marchelle Davis has led the way with a pair of goals for North Texas through two games.
SCOUTING SOUTHERN METHODIST
• The Mustangs have yet to play a competitive match this season, after their season opener versus Rice was cancelled due to weather last Friday.
• SMU dropped its lone exhibition game of the year to Ole Miss 2-0 in Dallas.
• The Mustangs face a Southland-heavy weekend with a match against Northwestern State on Thursday before playing the Islanders on Sunday. SMU topped the Lady Demons 8-0 in their season opener.