CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas – Nine home games, including six Southland Conference matches, highlights the fourth season of Texas A&M-Corpus Christi women's soccer.
RELATED: 2016 Schedule
The Islanders open the season with four consecutive road games with matches against UTRGV (Aug. 19), UNLV (Aug. 21), North Texas (Aug. 26), and UTSA (Sept. 2).
A&M-Corpus Christi starts the year at the UTRGV Tournament against the Vaqueros on Aug. 19 for the first-ever contest of the South Texas Showdown presented by Navy Army Community Credit Union. A&M-Corpus Christi will wrap up the early season tournament with a game against the Runnin' Rebels two days later.
Following the four-game roadswing, the Islanders will cap the nonconference schedule with a trio of games at the Dugan Soccer Stadium against Arkansas-Pine Bluff (Sept. 4), Houston (Sept. 9) and UTRGV (Sept. 11).
The Southland Conference home slate for the Islanders will feature six matches, which ties the most in a single season, and welcomes Abilene Christian (Sept. 17), Stephen F. Austin (Sept. 23), Sam Houston State (Sept. 25), Northwestern State (Oct. 14), Central Arkansas (Oct. 16) and Houston Baptist (Oct. 28) to The Jack.
A&M-Corpus Christi will travel on the road for five matches in conference play with trips to Nicholls (Sept. 30), 2015 Southland Conference Champions Southeastern Louisiana (Oct. 2), Incarnate Word (Oct. 7), Lamar (Oct. 21) and McNeese State (Oct. 23).
2016 will be a season of firsts for the Blue and Green, after reaching the Southland Conference Tournament for the first time in program history in 2015. The Islanders will aim to make a deep post season run when the conference tournament comes to the Coastal Bend in November. A&M-Corpus Christi will also face two teams for the first time in Arkansas-Pine Bluff and North Texas.
Prior to the opening game of the year, the Blue and Green will travel to Austin for an exhibition with Texas. It will mark the second preseason exhibition between the two programs. The Longhorns bested the Islanders in Austin prior to the first season of play on the Island. The game will be streamed on the Longhorn Network.
The Islanders will have two impressive promotions for the weekend of Sept. 9-11. Prior to the match against Houston, A&M-Corpus Christi will hold the Kickoff Tailgate in conjunction with Waves of Welcome, and the primetime Sunday kickoff versus the Vaqueros will cap the home-and-away set of the South Texas Showdown with a free giveaway for fans. A&M-Corpus Christi will hold its annual Soccer Scarf Giveaway prior to the match against the Ladyjacks on Sept. 23.
Tickets for all Islanders Women's Soccer home matches are available by calling 825-BALL (2255) or visiting www.goislanders.com/tickets.
• Home Games – 9 /// Away Games – 9
• Nonconference Home – 3 /// Nonconference Road – 4
• Southland Conference Home - 6 /// Southland Conference Road - 5
• 2015 NCAA Tournament Teams – 2, North Texas and Southeastern Louisiana.
• 2015 SLC Tournament Teams – 1. Stephen F. Austin, 2. Houston Baptist, 3. Sam Houston State, 4. Southeastern Louisiana, 6. Central Arkansas
• The 2016 campaign will feature 12 games starting at 7 p.m. or later, which is a new record for the Islanders. A 7:30 p.m. regular season finale on Oct. 28 against Houston Baptist will mark the first time that A&M-Corpus Christi will close the regular season with at home with an evening kickoff.
• The Southland Conference opener against Abilene Christian on Sept. 17 will be the first home Saturday game in program history and the first time the Blue and Green play a non-Friday or Sunday game.