CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - Six student-athletes have committed to continue their soccer careers at the Island University, head coach Shanna Caldwell announced today. Five members of the 2016 recruiting class will come to the Island University next fall, while goalkeeper Jordan Wainwright joined the squad at the start of the spring semester.
"With this 2016 class we add depth and strength to our team at every position," head coach Shanna Caldwell said. "They are a great group of people, students and athletes. They all hail from strong club teams in Texas that continue to compete at the highest levels and preparing them well for the next step in their careers."
The 2016 recruiting class for Islanders Soccer features two goalkeepers, two midfielders and two forwards. Some of the many accolades these student-athletes will bring to the Coastal Bend are a goal medal at the 2015 European Maccabi Games, an appearance at the NJCAA Final Four in 2015, six district championships and more than 100 goals for club and high school.
- 5'6 junior-transfer goalkeeper from Live Oak, Fla.
- Previously attended Monroe College in New Rochelle, N.Y.
- Led Mustangs to 15-3 record, a district and regional championship and an appearance in the NJCAA Final Four.
- .833 save percentage and a .33 goals against average ranked in the top-three in the NJCAA for the 2015 season.
- Played club for LEG-A-Z Hotshots and attended high school at Suwannee High School.
Caldwell on the experience Wainwright brings to the program…
I'm really excited about the addition of Jordan to our program. She is a leader by nature. Her experience playing in the NJCAA national semi's is huge and will benefit our team immediately. Coach Garbar at Monroe College has done and continues to do a phenomenal job preparing his student athletes for the next level in all aspects; school, life and sport.
- 5'3 midfielder out of Wakeland High School in College Station.
- Gold medalist while representing the United States at the 2015 European Maccabi Games in Berlin, Germany, defeating Sweden in the gold medal match, 2-0.
- Plays for D'Feeters, the same club team as current Islanders Kristin Kelley and Paige Taylor, and qualified for nationals for the 2015-16 season.
- Will letter in track & field for Wakeland High School this spring.
Caldwell on Bauer's work ethic…
Chayse is a workhorse in the middle of the field. She is a constant student of the game looking to challenge herself and continually improve. She gained invaluable experience last summer in the Maccabi games, helping the US earn a gold medal.
- 5'6 forward from Montgomery and plays club for Challenge SC 98.
- Tallied 56 goals and 30 assists as a four-year letter winner at Montgomery High School.
- Two-time All-District team member, named District Offensive MVP as a freshman.
- Led Bears to district title as a freshman, as well as three consecutive playoff appearances, and is working towards her fourth this season.
Caldwell on Seabolt's growth…
We've watched Katie's game continually grow this past year with her dedication to being fit and improving upon her decision making up front. She's a fast player that is dangerous down the flank and will add another element to our attack.
- From Wichita Falls, a 5'2 forward.
- Holds a 45-22-11 record in three and a half years as a member of Wichita Falls High School.
- Leading scorer as a junior with 37 points from 15 goals and seven assists.
- Area champion in her sophomore campaign, and guided Coyotes to area-finalist laurels in two other seasons.
- Steered her club team Odyssey SC to the 2015 CASL College Cup and Texas Cup titles.
- Member of the National Honor Society and National Art Honor Society.
Caldwell on Spearman's skill…
Shayla really impressed us at while attending our camp. Her speed and ability on the ball was hard to miss. It will be exciting watching her game grow and seeing her in the mix up top.
- 5'7 midfielder for FC Dallas from Fort Worth.
- Dual-sport athlete in soccer and track for Aledo High School.
- Leading scorer in the disctrict with 14 goals as a junior, while taking the Bearcats to a district championship.
- Named offensive player of the year in 2013-14.
- Reached national club finals two years in a row, finishing in third as a sophomore and eighth as a junior.
Caldwell's expectations for Lozano…
Maddie is a great addition to the 2016 class and Islanders Soccer. She will fit well with her personality on and off the field. A central mid by nature Maddie will challenge and strengthen our depth at the position with her ability to create in the attack and win balls out of the air defensively.
- Ranked as a three-star recruit by Top Drawer Soccer.
- 5'7 goalkeeper from Roanoke and plays club for Adromeda FC 96.
- Led Bobcats to a 54-7-6 record in the last three years.
- Named team captain heading into senior season, and posted .62 goals against average in team's undefeated season.
Caldwell on Hightower providing depth at goalkeeper…
Tatum is a hard working keeper from the Dallas area that takes pride in the position. She is quick and athletic with a strong demeanor in goal. I look forward to working with Tatum this fall and adding depth to our goalkeeping unit.